Personal Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Bookmark and Share

CXO Top News

Featured News

Customer Service Management

Followers

My Guests

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Leveraging your Mechanical Engineering in MBA

Posted by Mayur Tuesday, July 28, 2009

“Hey I don’t wanna do this crappy engineering ...i am not interested in such techie stuff…let me concentrate on my MBA entrance …” this is a typical conversation you will across engineering campuses from an engg grad planning for his/her MBA. Yes! That’s somewhat true but not entirely. There are some subjects which if I had mastered, or at least concentrated on, I would have leveraged my MBA course effectively. I think there are some topics in engineering that you should not ignore like
1) Economics
2) PERT/CPM techniques
3) Accounting (if its part of engg course)
4) Statistics or Linear/Goal programming kind of math stuff
5) Communication skills
That does not mean that you ignore all other subjects/ topics. Your engineering knowledge is like your foundation. Even though I am working as Management Consultant post my MBA, my engineering knowledge is helping me understanding the industry quickly and communicating with the client effectively. And the same will hold true if you want to become entrepreneur related to your field of interest.
The MBA curriculum will add value in terms of time management, stress management, project management, organization behavior, looking a situation from business point of view, and improving soft skills like communication, team building etc.
It will impart you those “Finishing” touches but the “Basic Structure” has to come from your knowledge in the field of study.

0 comments

SCM Round Table,Chennai

Supply chain management

Entrepreneurship

B School updates

Engineering updates

Jobs Freshers/Experienced

Blog Archive